Merits And Demerits of an Aadhar
The need for unique identification that can consider the citizens under the binding national demographic has been felt for a long. India offered a lead of its own in form of the Aadhaar Card or Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
The concept of the Aadhaar Card in our entry today and find out the Merits and Demerits of an Aadhar. Aadhaar Card is considered the largest nation-based identification number gauge in the world.
If you want to make some changes or have to update your Aadhaar Card Online, you have to follow some processes or steps.
Advantages/Merits/Benefits of Aadhaar
- Comprehensive address proof- An address proof is needed at various places in the country. If you are living away from home, it will become a huge task for you to provide an address proof. You can use your Aadhaar card as address proof for a variety of works or tasks.
- Helps in opening a bank account, investing in mutual funds, or buying an insurance policy- There is no requirement for KYC assent if you hold an Aadhaar. You can now open a bank account, invest in mutual funds as well as purchase an insurance policy with flexibility.
- Posting an income tax return verification acknowledgment is not required- Aadhaar makes the entire process of tax returns paperless. You can now verify your income tax returns using an Aadhaar OTP and login into your dome and review past returns using your Aadhaar number.
- Helps in receiving government benefits- You can now obtain all government benefits directly to your bank account i.e subsidy or pension benefits.
- Advantages of digital locker- The government has initiated a Digi-locker system for individuals to store their personal documents. The process requires the individual to link their Aadhaar and then store the documents on the government’s secured server.
- Jhan Dhan Yojana – Aadhaar Card is used as the major document of proof when opening a bank account under the Pradhan Mantri Jhan Dhan Yojana in the nation. The bank account comes with a great set of benefits like a free zero balance saving account, RuPay Card, and accident insurance.
- Monthly Pension and Provident Fund – A person needs to link their Aadhaar Card or UIDAI to their respective pension account and provident fund. A person who has registered their Aadhaar Card will have the amount credited to their bank account.
Disadvantages/Demerits of Aadhaar
- Foreign Handling of the data – As Aadhaar Project is being handled by private companies that won the round of bargains. The project is also set to entertain Foreign Companies. This might lead to data erosion to the foreign body which in the wisdom will compromise the privacy of the individuals of India.
- Problems Arising due to centralization – As the Unique Identification Scheme is governed by the supreme authority of the nation, there might arise problems concerning its centralization of it. The centralization of power will create different unorthodox issues for the government and people as a whole.
- Misuse in Banking Transactions – Aadhaar based identification will give way to a new banking transaction where Aadhaar Identification will be used instead of ATM, Debit, or Credit Cards. This will help out to reach the financial transaction to a mass of people but cites in a few disadvantages too.
- Uneasy nature of Usage – In a mass population where illiteracy and rural lifestyle are still booming around, using an Aadhaar card can be a tricky thing to be arranged. Many still find using the Aadhaar Card and its delusion of offerings as one of the bane rather than as a bonus for the nation. Only when the population is able to cope with the usage of Aadhaar Card can that be named as successful enough. Until then, we could quote this as a disadvantage.
- It is not valid address proof: UIDAI doesn’t validate the Aadhar card as an address proof but still, banks continue to use it as an address proof and identity proof. Providing the address when you go to get your Aadhar card is optional thereby making it unfit as an address proof.